Holy Name of Jesus School, New Orleans, Louisiana
 Home
Holy Name of Jesus School History

Holy Name of Jesus School opened its doors in September, 1891. Father Joseph Gerlach has merited the title of founder of the parish school; his fellow Jesuits said that "the parochial school was his hobby." In 1909, the Sisters of Mercy were persuaded to take over the administration of the school and to assume a large debt by purchasing the school property.

The school has been located on a variety of sites around what is currently the Loyola University campus. The cornerstone for the building now in use was laid on July 24, 1932 and classes began here on January 3, 1933. The quality of education and facilities alike led real estate advertisements in the local newspapers to say 'close to Holy Name School' as a way to entice prospective buyers. After World War II Holy Name experienced the same growing pains as other parishes, particularly in the realm of education. In 1949, enrollment at Holy Name reached 860 students. Six years later the high school was bursting at the seams. It was decided that the Sisters of Mercy would build a new high school, between Freret Street and LaSalle Place, which was to be Mercy Academy, a most-esteemed all-girls' high school, and was dedicated on March 19, 1961.

Today, Holy Name of Jesus continues the tradition of offering an outstanding and affordable Catholic education to the children of New Orleans and the surrounding civil parishes.